Kenepuru & Central Sounds Residents Association
Who are we and why should you join?
The KCSRA was established in 1991. Our objectives are to co-ordinate dealings with local and central government and to promote and act in the best interests of residents, ratepayers and persons associated with the Kenepuru and Central Sounds' area. AGMs of the Association are well attended. The Association does not receive any financial support from local or central government.
Examples of what this Association has done include:
- Our long established Roading Sub-Committee works hard to have our roads maintained and improved. We have obtained a commitment from Council to complete the sealing from Taradale to Waiteria Bay in 2017. We regularly meet with the roading contractors and the Council.
- We have been very active in working with other local organisations in trying to stop the commercial over-exploitation of the Sounds Scallop Fishery by advocating for a new and more sustainable management structure for this much loved but severely depleted resource. The Minister and MPI finally took notice of our concerns at the continued deterioration of the Sounds Scallop Fishery and closed the season.
- We identified the need for a public toilet at the busy Torea Bay wharf and are working with Council to obtain a commitment from them to fund and install such a facility.
- Commencement of a new project concerning repairs and maintenance to the Portage boat ramp and an associated application to MDC for community funding.
- Confirmation from the new Council that they would adopt the project for the construction of a barge site and associated infrastructure to divert the possibility of 500,000 or more tonnes of logs being trucked out along Kenepuru Road.
- Appointment of two KCSRA representatives on the MPI convened Marlborough Salmon Working Group and persuading MPI to hold a public meeting at Waitaria Hall on their proposal for five new salmon farms in Pelorus Sound.
- Completed a number of submissions on a range of topics including the review of the New Zealand Coastal Policy Statement and a significant submission opposing the MPI proposal for 5 new salmon farms in the upper Pelorus.
- Appointment of a KCSRA representative to the MDC convened Aquaculture Review Working Group and the preparation and circulation of a KCSRA technical paper to that group setting out how a bay-by-bay approach to re-consenting issues might be undertaken.
- Preparation and filing of four separate submissions on aspects of the notified Marlborough Environment Plan dealing with landscape issues, forestry, freedom camping and miscellaneous.
- We continue to be involved in and make submissions on diverse matters such as the proposals relating to the Rural Fire Service restructuring and the establishment of a recreational-only fin fish park covering the Sounds.
- We produce a regular Chairman’s Chat Line to keep members abreast of what is happening.
We are a watchdog for residents and property owners. We receive police alerts, advise on local courses being held and social events. We comment on draft council policy and believe our opinion is listened to. More than 50% of our members do not live here full time. We are their eyes and ears.
The map below indicates our area of interest:
Click for a larger image.
All this information is in a brochure we printed and distributed amongst all the ratepayers in our area. If you have misplaced your copy, or would like to give it so someone else, you can download the PDF version here.
Your membership is important!
The Kenepuru & Central Sounds Residents' Association and its committee is a voluntary organisation and needs your financial support. We carry out our activities on a shoestring budget. We believe the annual membership fee of just $20 is excellent value for what members get in return.
If you are a resident, holiday home owner or even just visit the Sounds on a regular basis, then we urge you to join the Association and forward your membership application.
How to apply for membership or contact us.
We need the following details from you:
Should you wish to pay by cheque, forward your details together with the payment to our treasurer:
3230 Kenepuru Road
It really helps us if you could pay your $20.00 directly into our Westpac Account 03-0599-0536388-00 or if you wish to pay by cheque then post it to the above address.
We look forward to receiving your application and keeping this Association a strong voice to be heard.
From the KCSRA committee